Please don't read if you haven't watched this episode!
I wanted to spend time and write the bestest Lost post ever, but I have to write my thoughts down now because I need to hear what you think. I have mixed feelings about the finale; it wasn't what I expected. I'm still confused, and I'm done with the Kate/Juliet/Sawyer/Jack love quadrangle. Let's discuss:
I was shocked Jacob was revealed in the first minutes. This scene was important; the black on the new mystery man and white on Jacob. We've seen black and white before, and if this was a predictable show we could guess that Jacob is good, and Man in black bad. I'm going to assume the ship in the distance was the Black Rock ship, perhaps the one that carried Richard..or Ricardo.
MIB, "You brought them here. Trying to prove me wrong aren't you?"
Jacob, "You are wrong."
"Am I?" "They come, they fight, they destroy, they corrupt. Always ends the same."
"It only ends once, anything that happens before that is just progress."
"Do you have any idea how badly I want to kill you?"
"One of these days sooner or later I will find a loophole my friend."
"When you do, I'll be right here."
So who/what are they? Is Jacob a God like person, trying to get a group of people to be good, to find their purpose and not destroy the island? Or is Jacob amusing himself by finding people and testing them to see how they will behave? Does his friend want to kill him because he is evil or sick of sitting on the island playing "Risk" with Jacob?
- We see Jacob visiting Kate and Sawyer as children, he attends Jin and Sun's wedding, gives Jack a candy bar, appears to heal Locke, and leaves Hurley with the mystery guitar case.
- Richard says he doesn't age because of Jacob. Is this Richard's reward for being a good person or punishment for something?
- Richard was visiting Locke in the past to see if he was special, Jack told him he shouldn't give up on him.
- Eloise was their leader and pregnant.
- Vincent, Bernard, and Rose are living in retirement on the beach. I didn't like Bernard with the new crazy island man look. Rose offered them some tea and lectured them..."It's always something with you people, you traveled back in time and are still finding ways to shoot each other." "It's all that matters in the end - being together." I think Rose wins the Jacob special purpose contest.
- Book Jacob was reading before Locke came crashing out of the window, Everything that Rises Must Converge, by Flannery O'Connor . Would you be interested in reading this book for the Summer? Maybe for the book club I've ignored?
- Ben is a Pisces.
- I wanted to cry when Sun found Charlie's ring...DS.
- Jacob tells Jack when he hands him the Apollo bar, "Guess it just needed a little push."
- Eye roll moment; when Jack told Sawyer the reason he wants to blow up the island is because Kate is not his girlfriend. "I had her." I suppose it would be nice to have a boyfriend that will detonate an H-bomb for you, but this seemed like a useless scene. How many times are they going to fight? How much blood can Jack get on him?
- Juliet decides it's a good idea to blow everything up. Why? Kate again! She thought Sawyer was making googly eyes at Freckles and now she would rather not know him than love him and lose him. Whatever.
- Sayid. Oh no...we will have to wait until next season to find out.
- I liked the scene between Jacob and Hurley. Hurley offered him a fruit roll-up and told him he was cursed. Jacob told him that he may not be cursed, but blessed because he can still talk to those who died.
- Miles brought up an interesting point, "What if the nuke is the incident." The thing you are trying to prevent is what Jack is doing?
- More, Live together, die alone happy love...longing looks at each other as they throw a bomb down the well.
- The scene with Juliet falling down the well with Sawyer crying was awful, but we don't know if she is dead. Which scene was sadder - Sun screaming for Jin or Sawyer for Juliet? How much effort do you think Kate put into helping Juliet with the chains?
- What did Ricarrrrdo say to Ileana? Was that Latin?
- So Ben kills Jacob because he was ignored. Typical. Interesting how the new Locke was able to manipulate him by playing on his weaknesses. Ben, "What about meeeeeee?" Jacob, "What about you?" Was it just me or was that the most awkward stabbing you have seen on TV?
- Jacob whispers, "They are coming." Who? Ilana and the Others? Or is it Jack and Co.?
- I knew there was going to be a body in the crate, just not John Locke's. So, the Man in Black found his loophole and killed Jacob. Does this mean John Locke is dead or duplicated? Does the John Locke in the crate have shoes on? Is the talking John Locke an evil twin? Why does Jacob use the body of Jack's Dad to talk to people, yet walks around in the real world handing out candy bars? Can Jacob take over the other body of John Locke?
- Juliet ends the season with a little rock... bang, bang, bang-white light.
- Previews for 2010- nothing but what appears to be Jack's eye opening. My theories - his eyes will open back in the jungle when the plane first crashed and they will spend next year trying to get things right. They will move forward to find out Locke is evil and the war will begin. The plane will land and Mrs. Hawking will have to convince them they have to go back again because they left Juliet in the well.
What did you think? Was it everything you dreamed of and more? Do we know what the incident was? Is Juliet and Sayid dead? Is Desmond coming back? Who is evil/good? Why was Ilana in the hospital and how does she know Jacob?
I will try to figure out the giveaway by Friday, and I will have more to add to this as I read your comments. Now what do we do on Wednesday nights?
Add: You must read Doc Jensen's theories - I love the one that the Losties will return to the point where Jacob visited them, but will remember what has happened - question is, will they return to the island?
Translation of what lies in the shadow of the statue, "He who will save us all."